dijous, 11 de maig del 2017

YOUR SAY

MANDATORY HAIR REMOVAL?

Some days ago, I was having lunch with my family while looking at the TV. Nothing special. A program called “Cámbiame” (“Change me, in English) was being shown in the TV. Basically, this TV show is about people who want to change their appearance; there are three stylists who can decide whether they want to change that person or not. If a person has been chosen, then one stylist changes his or her style. 


Frankly, I wasn’t even paying attention to it, until I heard a comment made by one of the stylists, which said to a girl that “It’s not possible for a woman to have hair on her arms”. Then I started paying attention to the program, especially to the girl, who was a cute young teenager. I had to make an effort to see her “hairy arm”; yes, she had some hairs, but it wasn’t that bad. At the end the stylist ended up removing her hair (what a surprise!).

What happened in that program made me think about the pressure women receive to remove their body hair. Of course, everybody can do what they want, and now more and more women are deciding to stop removing their hair, simply because they don’t want to do it anymore. But people keep looking at women who don’t remove their body hair in a bad way. And I ask myself: why? Does affect anybody if a woman decides to have hair in their body? Is your live worse because of that? Of course not, and I think society has to stop putting so many pressure on girls (and boys too).


Resultat d'imatges de feminismo depilacion Also, returning to what I was saying at the beginning, about the comment done by one stylist of the program “Cámbiame”, it really made my angry. Of course, even though I accept people who decide not to remove their body hair (that’s the normal thing to do, in my opinion; everybody can do what they want with their lives if it doesn’t affect anybody else), I understand that maybe there are people who don’t like women with body hair. As well as someone doesn’t like people with tattoos, there can be people who don’t like someone with body hair; no problem. This is one thing, and the other one is to say that “It’s not possible for a woman to have hair on her arms”. Excuse me? It’s perfect for a woman to have hair on her arms, or to have blue hair, or to do whatever she wants with her body. I found this commentary totally sexist. Women are free to decide what they want to do with her body, and don’t being judged for it. Well, not just women, everybody.

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada